Saturday, September 16, 2006

Mya

Recently Jake agreed that we can get a cat. I made very specific rules for myself on this issue, as just "any ole cat" would not do. She had to be a dilute calico (grey, tan, and white) short haired kitten under 4 months old. Any older than that and there would be a greater chance that she would not get along with Lacey. I put a couple ads online for free, not expecting to ever get a call, but to feel like I was doing something productive. Also the population of dilute calico kittens in this neighbourhood is slight to non-existent. I expected a long wait before my call to every "free kitten" ad produced my kitty (which I had not started calling yet, but was planning). That is until this morning. I heard the phone ring, and because I was busy feeding Sage did not answer. The message was from a woman named Nicky who needed to find a new home for her 11 week old dilute calico kitten, because she was chasing the woman's very expensive Cockatiel. The message said the kitten had been adopted from the North Bay SPCA and had her first set of shots, also that she got along well with the woman's other cats, 2 dogs, and kids.

There are several signs indicating to me that adopting Mya is the right move. First of all, she responded to my ad when I never thought anyone would. Secondly, she adopted her from the North Bay SPCA, and we got our dog Lacey from North Bay. It would be fitting if both our pets were from the same town. Thirdly, her name is Mya, an M name just like Ma'm'zelle. I had her for 13 years. I got her from a farm just north of Toronto when my family went to a country fair. At the same time my sister also got a kitten, a brown tabby, whom she named Niki (fourth co-incidence as the lady's name is Nicky). The reason we needed kittens was that our family cat had just died a few days prior, at the very respectable old age of 20 years. Her name was Mia - the fifth co-incidence, being very close to the name Mya. When Ma'm'zelle ran away on August 11th 2004, it broke my heart, and I've been trying to repair it ever since.

When I talked to Nicky, she agreed that picking her up later next week would be acceptable. I need to clean out the back foyer which is where the litter box is going. Also we need to wait till payday before we can get a litter box and all the other cat necessities. Luckily for me, my great friend Sabrina works in a pet store and has a 15% discount!

So, yay for me! Perfect kitty circumstances, no waiting! It would have been a little more perfect if this happened 2 or 3 weeks from now, but as I told Jake, I don't think all these criteria will be met again so perfectly for a very long time. Nicky told me she had been looking for a dilute calico kitten for THREE YEARS before finding Mya 5 weeks ago. Yikes.

No comments: