Saturday, September 30, 2006

Raisins and other scary things

Last night I had a nightmare. I dreamt I was eating chocolate peanuts and only when I had some in my mouth did I realize there were chocolate raisins in with them. The scary part was that I kept eating them *shudder*.

I'm having a lot of fun with cooking lately. I watch cooking shows on tv when I'm feeding Sage during the night. I've also recently chosen to watch them during the day when there's nothing else on. I like learning tips on how to do stuff and it's shown me that some things I thought were hard or never would have tried are actually not that difficult. For instance I saw the Barefoot Contessa make some spinach and feta phyllo pastry rolls, and I decided to make something similar for my cousin's baby shower I'm going to tomorrow. (Yay for Wendi due in November!) I just finished them, and tasted one that didn't quite turn out to be a triangle. Instead of rolls I made triangles stuffed with the cheese and spinach mixture. It was yummy. Because I want to cook like they do on tv, I decided I needed a large wooden spoon like everyone who's on tv does. I saw it in the PC grocery store downtown and had to have it. The cashier asked me if I had naughty kids at home when she saw it. She explained that she'd been beaten by her parents with a wooden spoon when she was a kid. She was laughing and smiling when she said it, but I think she never really got over that pain. I told her I wanted it for cooking, not beating. I've also been eyeballing some other kitchen utensils that I don't have. If someone were to ask me what I wanted for Christmas, *ahem hem* they would be told that I want a rolling pin, a whisk with a good handle, a cake mixer (the kind with its own bowl if you're rich enough, the hand-held kind if I'm not in fantasy land) a good cutting board, measuring cups that nestle together up to one cup, and maybe some chop sticks.

I make me laugh.

Here are some pictures for y'all. Such a happy sleeping baby! He smiled at me on his six weeks birthday. A real smile, not just a gas-induced one. He had been crying half-heartedly in bed one morning, and when I leaned down and smiled into his face, he looked me in the eyes and smiled right back. It was such a great moment. I've been wishing to get a picture of his smiles, but so far he won't do it long enough for me to grab the camera. These happy faced sleeping pictures are close. Finally he's not frowning!

And Kitty was helping to keep Sage warm by cuddling up to him. She doesn't weigh a thing, so I wasn't worried about him getting squished.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

In a few pictures, Sage looks a lot like your dad, Jennifer!

Sarah