Tuesday, August 05, 2008

catch up

well this will be a quick one, cuz I have to go to bed.

A) We hired a new babysitter. I put an ad on Kijiji, had a zillion replies, picked one that sounded the least axe-murderery (hm, should I even make that joke what with the Winnipeg horror last week?) had her over for a 30 minute interview/meet the kids thing, and felt like she was trustworthy. She has 2 references which glowed and am now sure she's trustworthy. We left her with the boys on Sunday night for a couple hours. She had started to organize their toys. If we'd been longer, they would've all been organized. I'm talking, all the blocks with all the other blocks. The stuffed animals with the other stuffed animals. The little people animals with the other little people animals. You have to understand that our house is like.. a melting pot of toys and toy bits. A set of toys comes in, like, for example, a Noah's Ark from Jake's parents. In a few short minutes Noah is under the couch, zebras are NOT marching side by side in the ark, which has split in two, part of which is in the living room, the other in the bedroom. For Hayden's first birthday, Carol and BJ gave him a huge box of 200 mega blocks. They won't be happy until every last corner, nook, and cranny has a piece in it. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is their toys are never together. And I was impressed that she was spending time putting them all together.

B) I am going on vacation as of 12:30pm Friday afternoon. I then have 9 1/2 days off. ahhhh. we have loose plans to go see Manitoulin Island, and I have very FIRM plans to relax and luxuriate in at-home-alone-edness.

C) Sage's 2nd birthday is fast approaching on August 17th. I'm having a birthday party with 16 adults and 10 children invited. How crazy am I? I hope to god it doesn't rain!! There will be problems if it's raining. Most likely a post-ponement.

D) Tomorrow Hayden and Sage go on a school bus and go out to Hanmer to see the petting zoo and have a picnic! There's an excellent petting zoo out there with VERY tame animals. I so wish I could go with them and take pictures.. and they'll all be wearing their royal blue Cotton Candy Daycare t-shirts and be all cute and stuff.. I wish I could take pictures. WAHH! I wanna see the 50 little kids all dressed the same!!

E) I made blueberry pie and it was excellent and I didn't take pictures. Sorry. And no, I can't put a piece away for you until you get here, Carol. I would like to, but I don't think I'll be able to resist it.

F) Sage weighs almost 33 lbs and Hayden weighs almost 39 lbs. Hayden has discovered that he can pick Sage up under his arms and lift him and walk around. At which Sage laughs his head off. And Hayden hardly drops him at all! Sage and Hayden take turns at various activities. Sage says "nurn!" and then it's his turn. His vocabulary has really developed a lot in the past few weeks. He says a new word pretty much every day. And says sentences! "I want milk" or "I want juice" or " no no no no no bip!" (bip is crib) which he says when he doesn't want to be put in his crib. The bedtime routine ends with me singing songs to both boys tucked into Hayden's bed. If they are good, they can both stay there. If they end up playing, we'll go in and tell them to go to sleep, but not move Sage. If Sage cries and gets out of bed after I've said goodnight, then he gets told he'll go into the crib if he doesn't lie down. Which most of the time ends in him getting put in the crib. The past week though he's been very good at staying in the bed and not needed to be put into the crib. Sooner or later we'll go buy him a twin bed of his own, and get rid of the crib.

7) I can't believe August is already almost one week over. How come time is flying by so fast? I will think about that while I get ready for bed and in the 10 seconds or so that it'll take for me to fall asleep.

4 comments:

Hussicots said...

Note: The TOYS want themselves spread out thinly and evenly through the house, not Carol and BJ. Just thought I'd clarify, because upon re-re-reading it read that way to me. goodnight.

Anonymous said...

a coupla things:
1) I am glad to hear that Sage is 33lbs because we just found out that Rachel is 35lbs and I was thinking that was pretty big? Everyone always comments on how big she is, I guess compared to their waify kids. (Sorry, that was mean. I just don't want poor Rachel being told how big she is all the time. Sheesh). I think she's perfect. And if Sage is 33lbs, then he's perfect too.
2) We've been having a heck of a time getting Rachel to sleep, and she is still in a crib. She hates going in it at night, and every evening is a cry-fest. I am thinking she's ready for a bed, but I'm so afraid that I'll be leading her back to her bed like 75 times a night, until I give in and she comes to sleep with me. I just think she wants her independence and how like jail a crib must seem for someone who just wants a little freedom? But I like your options for Sage...bed unless he misbehaves, then crib. Maybe we should try that...

MC said...

The petting zoo sounds like so much fun, as does the vacation! WHEE! And a birthday party in the works too. Man, it's no wonder the summer flies by with all the fun events going on!!

Miss you.
Catch up soon.
Will be back to blogging now that I'm home with a decent connection again that doesn't cost $15/day like it did at the fancy conference hotel in Newfoundland!
xo

Hussicots said...

I know about the cry-fests. Before the "going to bed with Hayden" thing evolved, every night Sage would cry his head off in his crib for soooo long. Like, 20 minutes and sometimes longer. If it didn't sound like he was winding down, I would go in and stroke his forehead, give him another kiss, and lie him down again. But not pick him up. Carol advised me that. It would werk.. she said with a twisty face. We steeled ourselves against the terrible crying and eventually he would stop. But that didn't seem very healthy to me, going to bed every night with so much stress. Which is when I thought of trying him in bed with Hayden. And actually, he goes to bed without screaming and crying about 50% of the time now. Maybe cuz he feels trusted, not being in the "jail"? I would try Rachel with a bed. You may be surprised.