Monday, November 24, 2008

Cup Cakes and Snow Flakes

I was sent this recipe through email, and tried it. It actually works! I had to change the quantities a little to fit into a regular sized mug, but this has been tested and makes a GREAT single serving of cake. It's called Danger Cake because a great warm piece of cake is now only 5 dangerous minutes away.

Danger Cake
3 Tbsp flour
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp oil
splash of Vanilla
3 Tbsp chocolate chips
Most of one egg (I buy gigantic 747's and one is too much. Usually they have 2 yolks, so I'll put in one yolk and 2/3 the white. If you buy Extra Large eggs or smaller, I think one would be fine. Test it out. Let me know.)

Sift dry ingredients together into a coffee mug. Stir with a fork until well blended. Add egg and mix it in. Add the rest of the wet ingredients. (Don't miss any corners!) Add the chocolate chips. Microwave for 3 minutes. Turn it out onto a plate and enjoy!

You will notice the chocolate chips have sunken down to the bottom of the cup, and make a lovely lava-ish icing sort of when you turn it upside down. Also I use an extra large cup for the orginial recipe (4 tbsp flour, 4 tbsp sugar [I cut this down to 2.5], 2 tbsp cocoa, 3 tbsp milk, 3 tbsp oil, 1 egg, 3 tbsp choc. chips, splash vanilla). I made the one I listed above and then put it into two cups for Hayden and Sage's cakes in the picture.


patient boys

chocolate boys



Hayden says "cheese and pickles" now instead of smiling.
(pickles)

And today it started snowing beautiful fluffy packing snow! I had made a promise to myself (after seeing Mr Snowman on Yellowknifer's blog) that the first packing snow snow fall I would make a snowman with my boys. Unfortunately my work day ends at 5pm and it was already dark by the time I got home. That didn't matter to me, however. After supper I dressed the boys and myself and we tromped outside to make a snow man! Hayden named him Snowy. I did almost all the work. It's hard work making a snowman! And we only had baby carrots for the nose.

10 comments:

Carol said...

My Danger Cake turned out well. It was SO rich. Very very chocolatey. I used Dark Chocolate chips, so maybe that helped. It really needed ice cream or whipped cream or something. I made mine in a rather tall narrow coffee cup, but I think wide and shallow would be better. The bottom half was all chocolate chips. And one egg (large) seemed to be fine. The texture was interesting, kind of like a traditional pudding, but was more rubbery near the top. I think I'll try it again in a wider mug. Thanks for the recipe!
Love
ABCDE

MC said...

Aww! He's so cute that Mr. Snowman! I helped Brandy's daughter make a snowfort last weekend and it IS a lot of work, and yes, I did most of it so I feel your pain. But it's so FUN!! :D

PS Thanks for posting the recipe up here with your extra special hints and tips! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Your boys are sooooo cute! I haven't seen a close-up of Sage for a while.

I am going to try that recipe! Sounds good as a quick craving-satisfier...

Anonymous said...

Everytime I log onto your site I see the coffee cake recipe, and every time I think, "hmmm, I should really try that." So I just did that again, but this time I'm going to write down the recipe and bring it to the kitchen, so the chances of the cake actually being made are now that much greater.
Thanks! We should share more recipes on the blog...I have a few new ones.
Love Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Okay, that didn't work out so well for me. What did I do wrong? I used a whole egg, and I only cooked it for 2.5 minutes, but when I took it out it was WAY overdone. Should I have just checked it at, say, 1.5 minutes? I also used a cappucino cup, the big ones. Do you think that made a difference?
Don't worry, I will attempt it again tomorrow. :-)

Hussicots said...

Did you use the small recipe or the big on? In a large cappucino cup you can use the 4 tbsp flour, 4 tbsp sugar (or cut it down) one that I quickly jotted down in the post. I made the smaller recipe in a regular cup and actually come to think of it cooked it only for 2 minutes and then let it finish cooking (there was just a little bit of runniness in the centre) in its own heat outside the microwave. Maybe the large cup and the smaller recipe made even 2 minutes too long. Or maybe it's your extreme northiness that made it cook faster. Like how things cook at lower temperatures on mountains...? :)

Anonymous said...

If you have a big microwave, it might cook faster, too.

Anonymous said...

Okay, attempt #2 was not successful either and I only cooked it for ONE minute! It was still way too overdone and I even used only part of an egg, and a more regular-sized cup. Sigh. Shane keeps saying, "Are you trying AGAIN? Just buy a brownie mix!"
But, no, I will not give up!
Love Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Brownie Twins ACTIVATE!
*comes flying into your kitchen and stands with hands on hips, cape bravely and heroicly wafting*
Let's get this figured out. Here's what I want you to do. I think that your microwave is very high powered, therefore you need MORE cakey substance in order to prolong the cooking time. Please try the recipe with 4 tbsp flour, 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, 3 tbsp milk, 3 tbdp oil, whole egg, all in the cappucino cup. Mix extremely well. oh and c.chips. Cook for 30 seconds at a time, and stop when the middle still looks a little wet. Let it stand to finish cooking with its own heat. Let me know how THAT turns out.

Anonymous said...

Unlike my worthy sister, I have made this about four times already (I've been a bit stressed) and every time has been good. The only thing I did was reduce the cooking time by 30 seconds, for both the smaller and regular recipes, because the first time it was a bit overdone. I have a small 800W microwave. Maybe try a tall cup, rather than wide?

Good luck, YK. You can do it. Or perhaps it is a blessing that you haven't been successful (remember, I've eaten four small cakes in the past two weeks)!