Thursday, August 10, 2006

Details


The anaesthesiologist appointment was 2 hours of waiting for 5 minutes of talking with the doctor. He felt my back and told me nothing much I didn't know already. The one thing I learned was that if the spinal block doesn't work, then the breathing tube will be inserted for the general anaesthetic while I'm still awake. But he said my throat would be frozen first. *gulp* Let's hope that spinal works!!

Buffy the Midwife was very nice today, supporting me and making sure all my questions were answered. She's warmed up from the very clinical first impression I got from her. My c-section is scheduled for one week from today, Thursday August 17th at 3pm. However I do have to be at the hospital for 9am, and ready to go in case the OR isn't very busy and everyone involved is ready before that time. Then they'd take the baby out earlier. My job is to wait around hungry until they're good to go. Carol and Jake will be with me waiting, and eating sandwiches. BJ is going to be taking care of Anya and Hayden. Since Jake is very queasy at blood needles and anything like that, Carol will be my support person during the operation. We were making jokes this afternoon about her eating sandwiches in the OR and getting crumbs in my open abdomen. Like on Seinfeld when Kramer drops a Junior Mint into someone's heart operation. heh heh. I need to laugh a lot to take some of the edge off the fear. Good thing I have a funny family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's fascinating to hear the details of what happens prior to a c-section, it's all stuff I never knew! Stay strong, and just think, now there is no waiting around for labour to start, you actually know when the little one is going to arrive! (after waiting 11 days, THEN having to be induced, I can see the up-side of planned delivery)
Vanessa