Thursday, October 26, 2006

Almost Back

Hey Hussicot fans, I'm almost home! The trip was great and it was fabulous to see the Vandekids again. Almost a whole year between visits is too long! I have some great pictures to share but I'm still in North Bay right now so I can't upload them. I will be doing that in the next day or two.

Monday morning went smoothly, we left our house ON TIME (a feat rarely enjoyed) and I got to the bus depot with plenty of time to spare. Unfortunately the bus was already pretty full but a kind old lady moved so I could have a seat to myself with the baby. Lucky for me (and all the other passengers) Sage slept the whole way to North Bay. Time craweled for me tho. I kept checking the clock above the driver's head and I swear sometimes it moved backwards. We pulled into the NB bus depot at 11:30am and I saw Carol and Anya drive in right on time. We went back to their house and fed Sage, had some lunch ourselves, puttered around, loaded the car, fed Sage again, and finally took off at about 3:30pm. At Gravenhurst Carol let me drive (!standard car = zoiks!!) and I did not too shabbily. Only stalled the car a couple times and hardly any jack-rabbiting. When we reached Toronto and Hwy 7 with lots of stop lights, I asked Carol to switch back however, since my standard driving skills are still pretty .. um.. what's the word for it.... sucky. We ended up at Sheena's house around 8:30pm. Sage had just started to be screaming hungry and Anya wasn't happy either so it was good we didn't have any further to go. We set up beds and got stuff settled and had a bite to eat and finally retired to sleep around 10:30pm. I breastfed Sage before putting him down. I had discovered that my boobs had leaked in the car, hooray for lots of milk! So he ended up with a very good feeding and.... he.... SLEPT.. THROUGH.. THE NIGHT!!!! I couldn't believe it when he woke me up at 6:30am. I thought the clock must be broken. He was in Carol and BJ's pod, which is like a portable bassinet, and I asked them later if we could borrow it for home, because right now Sage is sleeping in bed with us, and I want to get him in the crib, but after a feeding he most of the time wants to be bounced back to sleep. The pod can go right beside the bed, and it's springy so I can lie down and just reach down to him and bounce it. If he goes in the crib I have to get up and stand there, which would be ok maybe once a night, but not twice or even three times like he is demanding now. Anyway they're graciously lending us the pod. Yay!

Tuesday was awesome. We went to visit the Vandekids and their Vandebabies and had an awesome time. They had prepared easy-to-eat-one-handed yummy munchables, since we quickly realized that we all had to have babies on (or IN in Carol's case) our laps. Luckily Sage fell asleep so I could put him down and then spelled off Vanessa so she could finish eating, and Thea and Anya kept themselves busy playing with each other for a bit. It was great to catch up and visit with no pressure. I made Cookie Monster shirts for the four of them with Jake's silk-screen printing set, and we put them all in 'em and lined them up on the couch. We even got a couple pictures of them before anyone started crying! Like I said, pictures to follow. Then Carla (Vanessa and Sarah's mom) and Florinda (their grandmother) and John (their out-of-town uncle) came by and we had a chance to visit with them as well.

I'll have to pause here as Sage is waking up and needs to be fed and changed. More later!

No comments: