Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas #2

What a great day we had! We got over to my parents' house around 9:30am and stuck the turkey in the oven. Jake cut the bottom off their tree and brought it inside. We had just begun to decorate when the Szabicots arrived! They helped out and we all had fun. Anya and Hayden even helped decorate. Jake and BJ each went shopping, and when they both returned, we had lunch of yummy dimsum from the Korean market near my parent's house. Then we gathered round the tree and began opening gifts. Anya was really good at opening presents, but Hayden was more interested in playing with what Anya opened than opening his own stuff. It was a chaotic messy fun exciting wonderful gift-giving session. My only complaint was that I hardly got to see what people got because we were all so busy opening! We had a bit of a time crunch because we'd planned into the day a 2 hour nap break before supper. We all left my parents to nap and re-coop, and we put the kids down for naps at my house. Then Carol and I went to the nearby maternity store to shop. We also hit Penningtons and I got some new pants. hehe! She didn't end up getting anything. Oh well! 'Tis the season to shop for yourself. We put Anya's carseat into our car and Carol and I went back to my parents' house around 5:30pm to start the rest of supper while the kids finished their naps. Unfortunately Anya hadn't been able to start napping for a long time, even tho BJ was trying everything to get her to nap. Strange house, over-stimulated, maybe we missed her "good nap" window. She ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes before Carol and I got back from shopping, which is why we went to my parents' house earlier than the guys did. Carol and I peeled and cooked the potatoes, made the cranberry sauce, glazed carrots, stuffing, peas, gravy, and cleared and set the table. When we transferred the turkey from the pan to the plate, I used 2 long skewers to pick it up. It looked so funny with them sticking out, like a robot's antennae. I had to take a picture! We laughed really hard. Some of my favourite gift highlights: Carol and I each got a copy of my dad's book which is FINALLY published - Supergiant; a one-hour flight for my dad which we all chipped in for, so he can tour the landscape from above; a plate of chocolate sushi that Carol made herself (I forgot to take a picture of it, but I will and post it later); and so much more. We got my mom a brand-new set of towels, since her current "set" includes thread-bare gems from 30 years ago. BJ and Carol had a breakfast desire when they were making their lists. She wanted a waffle iron (check) and BJ wanted a griddle for pancakes and eggs (check). We got Anya and Hayden a Mr and Mrs Potato Head, and that went over really well. Like I said, a great day. And now, the photos!

Happy Sage Hayden holding Anya's new Cow
Raspberries for Anya - at the request of my mother who's been dying to see her finger in a raspberry since she first saw Anya do it on my blog in August.


Daddy and Sage enjoying some potato chips. Not really, Sage is just sucking his fingers.

Me helping decorate the tree. Other little decoration elves helping out.
A dimsum lunch with Sage.
And the tree is done!
Chocolate Face #1

Chocolate Face #2
Kids enjoying some Ham lunch. That's Anya's Popeye smile for the camera.
Anya helps Hayden eat some ham.
More dimsum in a pretty sweater.
PRESENTS!



By the way, that six-month outfit Sage is wearing just fits, but won't for much longer!
At supper, Anya didn't feel like eating right away, so she went and lay down with Sage.

Then she went and gathered up some friends to share the experience (her new cow and Hayden's new Pooh Bear). the "Take Me To Your Leader" turkey
My mom and dad serenaded Carol and me with Christmas carols while we cooked supper.


The Dinner Table
The Dessert Spread



Carol made these gingerbread cookies.. those tiny little candy canes were minty. What excellent cookies! Sooo yummy. The Birthday cake I made.





After supper playtime with Gramma.
And then there was me.

And to all a good night.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww! What a wonderful Xmas/birthday celebration that turned out to be! It looks like you guys had a fantastic time. Songs, guitar, a gorgeous turkey, lots of kiddie/baby time! So much fun. Glad your 2nd Christmas was so very excellent!
xo