Thursday, January 11, 2007

Yesterday's walk

Yesterday was such a beautiful day, I asked my dad if he would come over and walk with me. He brought his dog Lucy and I bundled the kids up against the cold (it was a frigid -12, call me a wuss Yellowknifers :oP) and got the strollers out of the closet and away we went like a herd of turtles. We had a nice leisurly walk after we waited to cross the highway for 4 or 5 minutes. The "leisurly" was kind of forced on us, since there was crunchy snow and ice blobs that constantly got in the way of the wheels of the strollers. I wished for an amauti, or other baby carrier to make walking simpler. Course I'd need two.. and I think I'd look ridiculous if I had both kids strapped onto my front and back.. that's actually a pretty funny image! I don't know if I'm going to want to walk with the kids any more, because even tho Sage was snuggled in a large warm blanket, Hayden with his hat, scarf, hood up on his fleece sweater over a lighter shirt, jacket, mittens, lined pants, and boots, still was very cold afterward. His lips were blue and he shivered alarmingly. Remembering my first aid for hypothermia, I took off my shirt and stripped him down to his diaper and we snuggled and hugged had tickle fights under the blankets of my bed. Jake made him a not-too-hot chocolate milk, but he didn't like it until it cooled right down. Anyway he's fine. Like I said, I think I'll leave the kids at home from now on, and resign myself to only being able to walk when Jake's off work. UNLESS... I took the car and went to the mall.. I could put the kids in a shopping cart and walk THERE....!! But that doesn't get me out in the sunshine, which I've been told helps with the January Blahs. Well whatever. (Incidentally, I love February because I spend the whole month looking forward to my birthday - my favourite day of the year - so I prefer to blame January for Blahs, rather than February. Who can be depressed when all month leads up to the most wonderful day of the year?)

Today was beautiful too. Jake was home, so I had it in the back of my mind to get out and walk, however I was feeling like another cold was coming on, and I had a nap in the afternoon instead. But then we went to the mall and parked at the far end, and when Jake offered to go get the car when we were done at Wal Mart, I said no and we all walked back. A little thing, but hey. Every little bit counts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I take Anya out in the cold, this is how I dress her:

T-shirt
Long sleeve shirt
Sweater
Warm track pants (not jeans, usually)
Two pairs of socks
Snowpants
Winter coat
Boots
Mitts
Scarf
Hat (and hood on coat)
Big Blanket to wrap around her legs
Stroller Cover

Just think about the last time you went on a sleigh ride -- you get cold just sitting there.

You don't have to stop going for walks just because it's cold... just dress Hayden way warmer than you are dressed.

Love
C.

Anonymous said...

Holy layers, northerners! I guess I don't have to tell you that recently it hit +13C in Toronto and Thea was wearing only a sweater outside...

However, I heard winter is finally coming here next week. Dun da dun!

Sarah