Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ok they're Hazel.

From Wikipedia:


Hazel eyes are due to a combination of a Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer.[24][5] A number of studies using three-point scales have assigned "hazel" to be the medium-color between brown and dark brown.[25][26][27][28][29][30][31] This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is brown near the pupil and charcoal or amber on the outer part of the iris when it is open to the elements of the sun/shined in the sunlight. Hazel is mostly found in the regions of South and East European nations.
There is some difficulty in defining the eye color "hazel" as it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with brown and other times with green.
[32][19][25][27][30][33] They have been described as light brown or yellowish brown,[34] or as a lighter shade of brown.[35] Hazel eyes have also been described as being equivalent to a dark black or charcoal-colored/light black eyes.[36] In North America, "hazel" is often used to describe eyes that change color, ranging from light brown to green and even blue, depending on what color clothing the person is wearing or what color is predominant in their immediate environment. (Eyes that change only between blue and green are not called "hazel"; the term only describes changeable eye color that includes a brownish shade within its range.)


An interesting side note pertaining to me exactly:


A green-brown human iris displaying a brown center and a green edge. This type of iris, although rare, is often also called hazel.

Rare! That makes me feel special. By the way that's not my eye in this post, but the eye colour is almost EXACTLY the same as mine. His has got more rust colour near the pupil. I say "his" cuz look at that eyebrow, man.

I take back the yellow bastard comment from the previous post. But I'd still like to know who said that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't me, but I concur. Hazel it is, as am I! :) Mine definitely have the amber interior and greener exterior, and OFTEN change with what I'm wearing to look more green, or more brown, but I've yet to see them turn blue. They also go very green when I cry, what's up with that?

Hussicots said...

Maybe cuz the whites of your eyes are reddish when crying, and red and green are opposites, so the red would make the green stand out more. Also, maybe the extra blood flow does something to the pigmentation of the iris. Those are my hypothoses.

Anonymous said...

EW! Don't say blood and eye in the same sentence. That's just wrong. :P HAHAH! But I do like your overall hypotheses. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wait. Now that I look again, you didn't. But you know what I mean!!!! HAHAH!

Anonymous said...

The hazel comment -- it was me. ;)