Sunday, March 25, 2007

ug and yay and ouch

Ug
I wrote all about our trip to Toronto and back last night, but then there was a 2 second power failure and I lost it. I don't feel like typing it all out again. We went to Toronto. Thursday. Hotel. Friday at US consulate. Jake's passport. No parking ticket. Lunch with Sarah, Mark, and Thea. Home by 7:30pm. Sabrina and Chris watched the kids for us. Great friends. sigh.

Yay
Yesterday was my mother's 65th birthday. Unfortunately she had to spend it in the hospital. She went in on Thursday morning because her potassium levels were too high. They were worried about it affecting her heart. She's still there and will be for a few days until the potassium levels come way down and stay down. We were worried there might be a problem with her kidneys, but the hospital doctor said it was probably caused by the Celebrex her family doctor prescribed a week or so ago, to help with the pain in her legs and feet. The condition of her skin on her legs is pretty bad still, and there's lots of pain, so she's on Tylenol 3s to cope with it. I took Hayden to see her today, and while we were there Sandy, Elizabeth, Penny, and their friend Pat showed up in their barbershop quartet costumes (pink shirts, black pants) and sang Happy Birthday and lots of other songs for my mom. It was extremely touching and sweet. During one of the songs everyone got really emotional and started crying and they had to keep re-starting because the words were so powerful. At first I thought I was the only one who was touched deeply by the song, (I even had to stifle a sob! Very unlike cold, calous me) until I looked at Elizabeth who looked at me and our tears and mascara were everywhere and I noticed Sandy and everyone were all crying too. We all laughed and they tried to finish because "the ending was really great". Then they sang Zippety Do Dah to try and lighten the sadness. They also sang a few others, including Big Blue Frog. It was great! Nurses kept walking past the room peeking through the partially open doorway with big smiles on their faces. I know my mom really appreciated the music.

Ouch
Sage is still teething. His top teeth are now coming down like little chicklet submarines. The left one has broken through the skin. His bottom left tooth isn't quite broken out yet, but his bottom right tooth is completely broken through the skin and starting to get some height. Poor little guy! His mouth must be so sore. He also knows part of a song: he says "bah bah bah" all the time, so I pretend he's singing Bah Bah Black Sheep. Sometimes he gargles and sounds JUST like the seagull in Little Mermaid when he tries to sing to Ariel and the Prince, just before Sebastian takes over and sings "Kiss De Girl".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your trip to TO and back went well. HAPPY 65th to your Mom from me as well! That's awesome that your fam came in and sang to her. I know she would love that. :D And oohhh poor Sage baby! Teething sucks. Hopefully the worst of it will be over soon.
xxo HUGS TO ALL oox

Anonymous said...

Please say happy belated birthday to your mom from us. I hope she feels better soon. I'm taking Celebrex too, for a week (for my back) and it's good stuff. Maybe not for potassium levels, though.

It was great to see you guys. I love the photos of Thea -- you got some pretty funny expressions.

Love Sarah