Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Developments

a) My strep throat is back. (self-diagnosed. will be assessed by doctor tomorrow.)

b) The CD player in the van has been discovered as broken. Upon consulting with the dealer, they may or may not have it repaired for free. I'm prepared to argue my "free" case seeing as it was purchased under the understanding that it was working, and that it does not matter if it's covered by the warantee or not (it's not) because it came to me previously broken. Oh the stink I will raise.

c) (speaking of stinks) Monday night the toilet backed sewage all over the bathroom floor and into the hallway and partially into Hayden's room. Towels and blankets kept the disgusting flood contained to that small area. The landlord was out of town. I called my father who suggested I call the city. The city said I had to call a plumber. The plumber said he needed $350 or so before he left. I said I'd call him back. My father said he would lend us the money and that he would come over to bring more towels and buckets and gloves. I called the plumber back and said to come over. He said he would be 30 minutes. (And then there was honking and lights flashing behind the gate at McDowel's. Again. It was pouring rain. I took an umbrella and went out to ask the guy to stop honking because it was 10pm and babies were sleeping. He was customer who had gone in when the gate was open to check on his storage stuff, and before he was done whoever had opened the gate had left, locking it behind him. With this guy inside. I was not as nice to this guy as I had been to Steve because hey. My toilet was backing up and I didn't have time to worry about this guy's problems too. I told the guy I didn't have a key, babies were sleeping, and suggested he call a cab and pick up his truck when the gate opened the next day.) My dad arrived, and provided guidance to Jake and me. The plumber arrived. He was not old and fat. He was young and trim and kind of cute. He removed the toilet from the floor and snaked out 45 feet, cleaning out the clog which he advised was caused by industrial rags, most likely from the warehouse right beside our house. Yay. That meant that we could present the $380 bill to the landlord with confidence that he would repay us (my dad). I was also pleased as punch because I had JUST put on contents insurance 2 weeks ago. I wrote a list of all the things that were damaged, and the replacement cost was only going to be $375 dollars. Our deductable is $500. Oh well. If we'd had to pay for the plumber and floors and stuff, it would have been more worth it. If only we'd kept the computer on the bathroom floor..... The McDowel Handyman is coming tomorrow morning to lay new carpeting in Hayden's room and the hallway/living room.

d) It's Jake's and my 5th year anniversary on Friday. If you would like to baby sit, please contact me.

e) That's about it for now.

f) goodnight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! That totally sucks about your bathroom issues, but I loved the way you ended your blog. Made me giggle. :P

Carol said...

Happy Anniversary!

Love
ABCDE

Dara said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

RDCPN