Sunday, February 08, 2009

Originally on Facebook - Opinion Poll

Okay here's a poll I want to take. How do YOU say COTTON CANDY? do you say COTTON candy? or cotton CANDY? (the caps word has the emphasis) Let me know. I have been trying to show my friend Mindi the error of her ways (she erroniously says cotton CANDY) for 13 years.

Mindi Funk at 10:42pm February 5
I would like to vote for cotton CANDY.

Jennifer Huss at 11:08pm February 5
You don't get a vote.

Mindi Funk at 11:16pm February 5
Oh. :(

Rhiannon Pollino at 12:46am February 6
I find myself saying both ways or should i say all 3 ways with the emphasis on both words, when talking to the kids and we are really excited. but who am i, just someone from the dumb ol states. lol I guess i wasnt any help!

Sassy Chris Nerpin at 7:17am February 6
Sorry Jen I am with Mindi... I always have the emphasis on the CANDY part

Doreen Hicks at 7:53am February 6
Oh its got to be cotton CANDY because the CANDY is the exciting part. Not appealing to be eating cotton.

Mindi Funk at 12:22pm February 6
Hahaha! The woman makes a good point. Go mama. :P LOL

Jennifer Huss at 8:20pm February 6
Doreen I'm not surprised you also say cotton CANDY because you are Mindi's mother and she could only have learned the wrongness from you. Blame blame blame. Nature vs nurture again proves nurture wins. And I take your vote away because of it. *yoink* Sabrina you are from a tiny little town about the size of the one Mindi grew up in (and Doreen still lives in) and therefore your vote doesn't count either. Rhiannon, only 2/3rds of your vote counts. And the states aren't dumb. And you were a help! well, 2/3rds of help anyway. Seriously people, COTTON candy, to describe what kind of candy! Say it to yourselves a few times, the RIGHT way. COTTON candy. COTTON candy. COTTON candy. Why would you have to emphasize the candy part? Emphasizing the candy part suggests you thought people mistakenly thought you were eating cotton UNDERWEAR or cotton T-SHIRTS. What kind of candy are you eating? COTTON candy. What kind of sandwich are you eating? TUNA fish. not tuna FISH. See?

Tanya Borsuk at 9:23pm February 6
hmm...actually I think I say COTTON CANDY. No preferential emphasis. Am I broken?

Jennifer Huss at 12:15am February 7
nope. Cotton Candy with no particular emphasis counts towards the COTTON candy vote. :)

Iris Hollander at 8:26am February 7
I think i say it like your friend Mindi. I've never heard anyone say it any other way actually. Emphasis always on the Candy.

Tanya Borsuk at 4:48pm February 7
now I think you're just making up rules......

Jennifer Huss at 11:31pm February 7
Tanya, now whatever gave you that idea ? *flutters bambi eyelashes*

I think I give up trying to convert you guys. But *I* will never convert. Never. I'll be like Picard in that episode where he gets kidnapped by the rogue Romulan who then tortures him and tries to make him say he sees five lights when there are only four. And Picard never says there are five, even though he's beaten and tortured for so long, they never get his spirit. But one of the last shots of the torture chamber scenes the camera shows you that Picard ended up really seeing five lights, even though he didn't admit it. Except I don't see five lights. I don't pronounce it cotton CANDY. Me and Picard = the same. I miss Star Trek.

Rhiannon Pollino at 1:19am February 8
this is funny to read up on. so where did my 2/3 come in? ok so the states arent dumb...i know its just me lol it seems to run in my family a bit. dont worry jake doesnt have that dumb gene. but any who i am loving this debate! love ya

Jennifer Huss at 9:53am February 8
Well, as you so intelligently noticed, there are in fact THREE ways of saying Cotton Candy. The right way, the wrong way, and the OMGIGOTTAHAVESOMENOW excited way. Therefore if you, Rhiannon, say it all THREE ways then you are right 2/3 of the time. As stipulated above, saying it in the uber-excited way counts towards the right way.I'm glad you're enjoying the debate! I am too. I think I'll put this whole thing on my blog: www.hussicots.blogspot.com[Any objections to me posting this are too late as I am going to do it now.]

Jennifer Huss at 9:55am February 8
PS Jake's got a little bit of dumb in him :P relating to the nature vs nurture topic also discussed above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, unbiased, impartial poll you've got going there. :) I refuse to vote when the judge, jury, and accounting committee are slanting the results. I want an impartial third party to count votes. Pbbblltltltt.

Love
Carol

P.S.
But if I did vote, I would vote for Cotton CANDY. 'Cause the kids say it, not me. (Why would I say it? That's like saying "cookie" around here, for no reason.)
Example, ANYA:
"Mommmmeeeeeee, can I have some cotton CAAAAAANNNNNDDDDDEEEEEEEEE?"

Anonymous said...

I vote for COTTON Candy just like I vote for Belly BUTTON ...always putting the emphasis on the the 2 TT's ....