Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ribs

Ribs I
On Saturday I slow-cooked a big rack of ribs in my sporty slow-cooker. Oh my goodness they smelled the house up something wonderful. I ate three for supper. They were big. Awesome, falling-off-the-bone, sauce-just-right, yummy yummy dance for joy. Tilly ate the bones. On Sunday late afternoon I turned the ribs back on thinking I'd have another ribby dinner. I didn't QUITE forget about them, but I had had a late lunch and wasn't hungry for supper at supper time, and since I'm the only one in the house to eat my slow-cooked ribs, they left the front element of my brain. [How come no one ever says that? They say 'put it on the back burner' lots, but never say when they're using the front coils. Weird.] I kept smelling them through the evening, and because it's a SLOW cooker I never thought I could burn anything in there. Wrong-o. If you leave stuff in there long enough, it burns. At 9pm I went to get some and found a large black mess. I picked a few out to see if they were scortched or just blackened, and the meat was not charcoal, but it was VEEEEEEEERY black, all the way through. Terrible loss! Oh woe betide the ribs of yumminess! They hath forsaken me. Sniffle.


Ribs II
I have a cough. I've had it since the day after the day I came back from North Bay for the Spa Weekend. So that would be March 16th. It started off not so bad, loose, no stuffy head to accompany it, just a little rattley cough that stayed. About a week later it started to tighten up a bit. Coughing wasn't so easy. Had to use vicks vaporub at night. A few difficult nights. Let's say that started last Wednesday. Coughing fits at work are AWESOME, let me tell you. Coughing fits in general are spectacularly fantastic. I love them. I've had a lot of practice and now am really good at them. Sunday night I had a particularly bad coughing fit, and afterwards my right side ached. Saturday morning I had another really bad coughing fit and that was NOT fun because the ache became real pain in my ribs. Grimace-of-pain-on-the-face pain. At work people who'd had broken and bruised ribs before sympathized and offered suggestions of holding a pillow tight against your painful ribs when coughing, and I discovered the support does help ease the pain. I made it through my day, but at home it just got worse and worse. Sleeping last night was terrible. Getting ready this morning was painful. And after I came back from walking Hayden to the bus, the coughing fit I had was so bad and so painful I decided to call off work and am headed to the clinic after Jake gets home. I don't think it's broken, but I just want to make sure. Also ibuprofen is not working to take the edge off the pain, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get something a little stronger.

1 comment:

MC said...

Not that I need reminding ... but when I read random parenthetical rants by you I remember just how much I love you! xo