Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring!!

Today we were supposed to get 10 cm of snow. Instead we got rain! I'm stoked. They're still saying we may get snow tonight, but I don't think it will. I keep checking my now-exposed garden for my daffodil sprouts. I have no idea when they should be appearing, but I figure the ground LOOKS thawed.. and it's almost April... I think it'll be any day now. Of course I could be way off. This is my first year of daffodils. In addition to them this year I think I'll have tomatoes and peas again, marigolds because Carol said they keep bugs away, zuccini, aaaaand.. um... some other kind of flowers. I was thinking also of having a large hanging basket of morning glories and letting them trail down instead of twine upwards. Think that'll work? [it would take a miracle]

My front garden is shady until later afternoon, so I looked up what flowers like shade. Marigolds are not on the list. I think I'll put them on the side with my peas, tomato, and daffodils. I did find out that Bleeding Hearts and Bugbane are both very pretty flowers that like the shade. Bugbane repells bugs as well.

I'm getting excited!!

3 comments:

Carol said...

I'm going to try to replant my Bleeding heart this year... you can have a root cutting if you time it right. :)

Love
Carol

MC said...

We have a huge bleeding heart at mom's that I loooove!! Do it!

Hussicots said...

I love bleeding hearts. They remind me of the Vandewater's home on Lookout Place. That's where I first saw them and fell in love... they come in white too. Did I mention that? I would love a root cutting, Carol, can you sprig me off a piece and put it in some water for me? I was going to start the BH and BB soon because they take a long time to establish, sources tell me. I'd like white BH AND traditional pink. I switch it up like that cuz I can. ohhh yeahhh boyyyeeezzzzzz :P