Sunday, January 24, 2010

Stabbed In The Head - or - Why You Shouldn't Leave Knives Lying Around

Whenever possible, as parents, do try not to leave any sort of sharp knife lying around. Even dull ones are a bad idea. It's completely possible that a child may find it and then stab you in the head with it.

This morning our family got up in great spirits. We were headed to church and that makes everyone happy. Church was nice. Singing was awesome, the service was about tithing, so that was excellent fodder for my thoughts and is making me consider my newly found faith in different ways. Like, how strongly I feel, how much faith do I have that "God can do more with 90% than I can do with 100%" and am I ready for such a leap of faith? I am not sure if I'm ready to be baptized, but I digress.

We dropped Hayden off at his friend Julia's birthday party and came home for lunch. I returned a call from my sister who was very excited she'd found something she was sure she'd lost last weekend when we came back from Toronto. It wasn't expensive, but it would've been extremely handy (a bag of clips for chip bags or whatnot from Ikea - $1.99). We were chit-chatting away when suddenly

!~!~!STAB!~!~!

Sage had found a paring knife and had decided to try and brush my hair (? maybe? I'm guessing) with it. With the pointy end. Which has a conveniently hooked blade and is nice and sharp.. excellent quality knife for paring with ease.

I hadn't been looking at Sage because our phone cord (cordless rests in peace) is very short and I had to have my head turned towards the wall so it didn't come out of the jack. I guess my glossy jet-dark-brown hair with silvery streaks head was too tantalizing to resist. Or some other three-year-old reason. Anyway I shrieked, quickly let Carol go, and asked in a calm not-upset voice (yah right) where he'd found the knife.

Come to think about it, I never got an answer. Maybe it had fallen down behind the stove. I don't know. It was dirty. Hm.

Anyway the end of the story is that he didn't cut through my scalp but it sure hurt and scared me.

I guess I should call Carol back and tell her what happened...

No comments: