Thursday, February 04, 2010

Honesty - Best Policy

I've realized today that being honest with your child can lead to opportunities not lost.

Every other Thursday, Hayden's school sends class by class down the street for skating instead of gym. There's a community centre with an outdoor rink. He's been once before and today is his second time going. We'd gotten him adjustable Toy Story skates (he is the smallest of the three adjustable sizes woohoo!) and a bicycle helmet. When he came home last time, he said he had the wrong kind of helmet; he needed "the kind with the lines". Puzzled by this, and hoping they didn't mean expensive hockey helmet, we forgot about it until I remembered yesterday morning and sent a note to Madame asking what kind we needed. I related Hayden's description. Unfortunately for Hayden, I was at choir last night and didn't remember to check for the response from his teacher until 11pm. But that didn't matter anyway since Friday is payday and we're out of money till then. She did say it was the hockey CSA approved helmet that was required.

Arg.

So as I was getting Hayden's snowpants and other wintery garb out for him, I decided it would be best to prepare him for the disappointment of not skating with the class and told him that I wasn't sending his skates. I told him we didn't have the right helmet and he would have to just watch the skating. I felt sad, but I hoped they would invite him to slip and slide around on the ice in his boots. But then he said "No no Mommy! Last time I wore Ryder's other one, the one with the lines!" OHHHHH. I tried to clarify, just to be sure "So there's extra ones for you to wear?" "Uh-huh." Great! With the bus already at the door (it sits there for a few minutes as we're the first stop) and Hayden fully winterized, I had just enough time to grab his skates from our wonderfully organized and neat closet, plop them into his school bag and attach his lunch bag to the knapsack strap.

Moral of the story: Always buy a lunch box for your child that has a handle with a buckle that can attach to the outside of the school bag.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, the moral of your story doesn't match the title of the article. :)

I'm confoosed.

C.

Hussicots said...

Well I was being funny. The moral of the story was already at the top of the article, so I thought it would be redundant to say it again at the bottom, but the bottom did cry for something else to be said. So I figured I would throw that in about the lunch box, and see how many people I could confuse.

The tally so far is 2.